Saturday 13 August 2011

And the Ugly Duckling . . .

. . . . . .Turned into a Beautiful Swan.

Growing up, I never really liked to follow the crowd. I believe it was my wonderful mum who started off my individuality. I wore the brightest colours imaginable, clothes made from other clothes and clothes made from kits (Clothkits to be exact).

I was always happy to wear something different and when I was nine I announced that every sunday was to be 'Hippy Sunday'. Out came the Doctor Marten boots (tartan of course!), the gypsy skirt and a neat little gypsy top. I would wear big sunflower clasp in my hair and have a 'chilled out' day. Why a nine year old needs to chill out I don't know, all I know is that while I was out there being individual, my school mates were sat at home in their generic mainstream clothing.

Skipping to secondary school I chose Doctor Marten T-Bar shoes, not heels like my mates! I dyed my hair at 15, started stretching my ear lobes too (much to mummy's disgust- 'please dont, I have a friend that could turn those earrings into normal studs'). I then started on 'two-tone' hair, plum on top, PINK underneath. The school didnt care as by that time I was in sixth form. I met 'The Ex' at this time, and we bought matching chunky trainers. I wore baggy jeans, tiny tshirts, I was like a little Avril Lavigne, and the scurge of the school- I DID NOT fit in. Thank god for my sister and The Ex living in Sheffield, my weekend retreat to get away from school. It was nice to hang out with people like me for once! From then on I never feared to be individual, the more different the better.

Fast forward 6 years (to june last year) and the baggy jeans still existed, and the tiny tshirts, but really only for home or lazy time when slugging to the shop. It was then I decided that I wanted to make a dress for the summer sun. I hit a wall and wanted to be more feminine, something I never thought would happen. I think maybe subconsciously it was a vain attempt at getting The Ex to fancy me again, but alas, it was just not meant to be- but I did get a really nice dress out of it in the end.

I got up one saturday morning, pulled an old sheet out the cupboard, grabbed auld Brother Sewing Machine and sat my cheeks down and got stitching. I designed it from my brain bank, no templates. 7 hours later, pretty lady dress prototype was complete, complete with buttons and fastenings.



WOWSERS those buttons are tight- maybe the real thing needs to be a little looser!

So, a couple of weeks later I went to Ikea. Not really for anything in particular, just went along for the ride, the ex in-laws were going and I fancied a day out. While we were there, I headed to the haberdashery section, and found the most amazing fabric- perfect for making myself a summer dress! Covered in all types of birds I decided I needed it and that I would dedicate my first wearable dress to the lady I'm modelled on, my Granny- will most definitely do a post on the two of us somethime. Her and my Grandad were big in the 'Bird World' for my Grandad held the largest collection of bird recordings, all collected by himself. So the birdy dress became the Granny Kirby dress.


It needs a belt, but this was the initial finished product.

The Ex hated it. he hated the print, and I think he secretly hated the fact that I'd made it. He always wanted me to fork out vomit worthy amounts of money for dresses- this one cost me £3.86. Because of his hatred, I never wore it last year, AT ALL. It made it's first public appearance this spring, and I wore it to work, and it was received very well. Plus, by this time we had almost split up so I thought, stuff it, I'm wearing the dress whether he likes it or not.

Here I am, avec Granny Kirby dress, in my transition to pretty ladyhood on my beloved bicycle Beryl. She's a beaut. I'll do a post on her later.

So, from hippy to skater to pretty lady, all in the fine space of 24 years. I'm sure I'll settle for a style someday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think :-)